Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Blast from the Past

Circa 2002
I couldn't imagine making this quilt today. Row after row of the same simple applique. However, it was my first venture into "invisible" machine applique and I learned a ton in the process of making this quilt.

Skills developed:
Freezer paper machine quilting
You can't see the bumps and bruises from your chair to the design wall, so quit saying. "oh crap" in the classroom
Many creams make for an interesting background/border
How to make tiny stop borders and keep them straight, that fuchsia border is 1/4 "
Double up on the batting under the hearts, stipple around them and they will puff up
Free motion quilting around the borders on my DSM - first time to machine quilt
It takes some patience and pins to line up the sashing all down and across the quilt top

Would I make it again? never.   Do I love it? Yes.

 The fabric I chose for the hearts is still one of my favorites, I love working with scrappy backgrounds in creams or whites and I can see how much one quilt taught me. I am grateful for teachers who take the time to share their skills and knowledge. It takes a lot of time to prep for a class and to have samples made up.

Put a class on your fall to-do list. I'm sure you will learn one new thing, and that makes it all worth it!

Take time to stitch today,
Sharon

7 comments:

Janet O. said...

Love this line...
"Would I make it again? never. Do I love it? Yes. "
: )

Nifty Quilts said...

Great quilt! Glad you made it back then. You're so right. There's something to be learned in every quilt.

Louise said...

Ditto what Nifty Quilts said....39 years later and still learning...

Carol said...

Pics brought tears to my eyes. Used part of that collection to make valances for my Mom when she moved up here about that time....wish I could still go and see them in her spotless kitchen with her tea cup collection on shelves above them. Thanks for the memories, Sharon!

Missie of Traditional Primitives said...

Hi Sharon! It's been a while since I've caught one of your posts! Good to "see" you again! It's so good to get something finished isn't it! Very nice! Take care....

Mimi said...

It's a great idea to put down all the positives. I think you will find there are more than the negatives. It's a very pretty quilt.

Unknown said...

testing my friend! thank you!