Monday, August 3, 2015

Old Voices, New Impressions

I'm sure you've seen several posts with the title in the last week.  Karen and Nancy  have shown their blocks and I'm sure Lori, aka Humble Quilts will show hers off some time this month. Yup, I've jumped in and am going to do my best to stay up to date on this quilt along.  Now that Whatnot's is finished, I have a little extra time in my sewing room.  I like to take a break from the longarm several times during the day, and a little machine applique is the perfect task for me right now.

Four blocks per month, and we started in July.  OK, four blocks are looking good.  Please do not look at my blocks for reference.  I am doing fusible machine applique and I did not "flip for fusible".  ALL my blocks will be mirror image but there are no blocks that will make this look odd.


But since I had everything out, I thought I'd just keep marking the fusible web with more shapes from more blocks.  I've also tried to make mine a bit different than the pattern by not looking at the color pictures.  I'm striving for brightness from the appliqued  pieces against the creamy backgrounds.


Four became eight and now there are four more.  But don't get too excited about my progress.  These blocks are simply prepped.  Now comes the investment of time to get all the blanket stitching done around each shape.  I started with green, and got quite a bit done. 


This is the only block that is completely finished.  OK, I still need to stitch the stems with dark brown.  It's the closest one to finished. 


Here is the group of them together. I am LOVING this quilt. I have chosen 25 different shirting prints for backgrounds and tried to stay away from the whiter ones. Patterns were blown up 100% and I cut the backgrounds 12 1/2". They may get trimmed down and stitched edge to edge or there might be some sashing around the blocks. That decision will be made once all 25 blocks are together.


 
Old Voices, New Impressions by Jeana Kimball is the book that we are using.  I have several of her books, and they are great to have in your library.  c'mon, join along!  If you don't have this book, pick another appliqued project and have some fun!  My goal is to have 4 blocks completely stitched by the 15ht of each month. I think that's a reasonable goal.

Keep stitching,
Sharon

10 comments:

Kyle said...

I really like your interpretation of these blocks. With brighter colors they take on a more modern look. Your use of a variety of backgrounds is fun too. It's great to see how everyone is approaching the same pattern.

audrey said...

Getting that much prep work done is a big commitment! Love your colors.:)

Diane said...

I have this book and have often been tempted. I love your fabric choices and combinations!

Janet O. said...

You blocks are so pretty and fresh. And you are really cruisin' along with the prep work. Good job! Going to be a dazzling quilt!

Louise said...

Oh Sharon, I am loving this set of blocks! You are making such good progress, but then again you usually, do.you are an inspiration.

Mimi said...

I am cheering you on. Your blocks are lovely so far. Keep up your momentum and you will be right on task. Good luck.

Lori said...

They look wonderful Sharon! Unfortunately I've bowed out.... too much on my plate and didn't want any extra pressure. I'll happily watch your beauties become a quilt!

Karen said...

I am very happy that you have joined in, Sharon. You accomplished a lot. Your fabric choices made for some very pretty blocks.

Nancy said...

Your block all look great. I did the same thing. I prepped al of the blocks and am just stitching when I find time.
Hopefully I will be able to get 4 stitched a month.

رواد الحرمين said...



شركه عزل فوم بالدمام

شركه عزل فوم بجدة